This Friday, we'll be down in Kortrijk, Belgium, for Velofollies. Say hello if you'd like to meet up!
Well, it wouldn't be a Twotone newsletter without starting with some useful advice, and this week's actionable intro was inspired by an article penned by Brian Honigman. He had freelancers in mind, but I'd wager that both entrepreneurs & even salary employees should take heed, indeed. I put my own take on each of his tips:
- 🔎 DEFINE YOUR NICHE – Long-time readers will remember that Twotone did startup sales consulting early on. Focusing on bikes changed the game for us!
- 🗣️ SHARE YOUR IDEAS PUBLICLY – that's what this newsletter, talks at conferences and shows, as well as interviews, are all about. Be a resource!
- 🤝 FOCUS ON YOUR NETWORK – "show up for the people in your network consistently and intentionally; you’ll build a reciprocal support system of like-minded people who will happily refer clients to you, support your projects, champion your successes, and offer guidance when you’re struggling." This!
- 📈 DIVERSIFY YOUR INCOME – I never really considered this out the gate, but the opportunity to take over a coworking space in 2017 enabled this for me. Thank you also to everyone who supports this newsletter & buys merch!
- 🧱 BUILD YOUR CREDIBILITY – initially, this ‘social proof’ that Brian references in his article was my many years of racing & riding but also having run a bike shop in the USA + startup experience in the tech scene. Successful Twotone projects + handing out 1000s of stickers at every tradeshow, ride & event helped too! The first three points support this one too!
- 🗝️ BE RELIABLE – Do what you said you would when you said would & do it good! Live and die by this. Stick to deadlines & deliver each & every time. You aren't anything if you aren't reliable!
- 📚 GROW YOUR SKILLS – We've always pursued projects that push our comfort zones: from tackling rebranding briefs, producing international shoots, wrangling pan-European campaigns and who knows what more in 2024! Last year, for me personally, it was ensuring our mail server worked, CNAMES calibrated correctly, and our website nuts & bolts worked alright. Keep learning!
- 😬 LEARN FROM MISTAKES – oh, we make these too! And we learn as a team every week. Communicating early & often avoids many snafus, but when we mess up, we fess up and do what we can to fix it, learn from it, and keep rolling.
- 🙌 PRIORITIZE WHAT BRINGS YOU JOY – Twotone will be 10 this year! Wild to write & wild to think about all the awesome adventures it has afforded the team & me over the years. Grateful for the stoke this work brings!
- 🙅♂️ DON’T BE AFRAID TO SAY NO – This should be easier, and it's where transparency in our sales process for the team & parameters for what makes a good client/project really matter. Don't sign up for headaches if you can help it!
Hopefully, these tips are useful for you! Have a good week & see you here next Monday!
Thank you for reading,
✨ Enjoy reading regularly? Consider supporting this newsletter here.
☕ Or simply say thank you by buying me a coffee. : )
Thank you for reading!