After a big day of moving yesterday, I'm laying low today with sore legs & prepping for the week ahead. (40km on a truck-sized fixed gear cargo bike full of furniture is no joke!)
Well, since last week's mention of deciding to sojourn to my 8th Eurobike, a lot has come together!
I'm taking a train to Basel on Aug 30th, dining with Stefano of Broomwagon and shacking up with my friend Giacomo. We'll roll out towards the Bodensee the next day. Accommodations for my two days in Friedrichshafen have come together too! Thank you, Daniel!
Over the years, Twotone has typically had a stacked client list to represent at the show and I'm grateful that 2021 is turning out to be no different:
- 🇪🇪 Ampler – will have demo bikes at the show this year. Come #rideampler at Open Air Grounds East / FG-O/308 and if you'd like to meet their comms manager, Tuuli, to learn more about the brands 2021 & 2021 plans, let me know!
- 🇺🇸 Serial 1 – will be prominently perched in both the Gates Carbon Drive booth as well as the Brose booth. Info about their bikes being available at Harley-Davidson dealers in more than 10 languages in our newsroom. Serial 1 staff will be in Berlin & Amsterdam after Eurobike as well.
- 🇳🇴 Fara Cycling – officially under the radar at Eurobike this year, Jeff & Paul from Far will be at the show with bikes for demo & to answer questions. Let me know if you'd like to schedule an appointment!
- 🇬🇧 Litelok – will be at the show via their distributor, Paul Lange & Co.'s booth, and keen to talk Benelux & DACH growth. I've been using a Litelok for several years now and am excited about helping Neil & the team with their dream!
In preparation, I recently restocked not only the classic tradeshow currency Twotone stickers but a small run of 'brain lube' stickers designed by Kike Molares along with a limited printing of a promotional zine for the show. I'll link to a PDF version next week!
In other news,
- 📻 The first episode of 'The Mechanics of Joy' was a hit! Thank you all for listening! Add the next episode to your agenda here.
- 🏙️ We're continuing our push for City Series retailers of Apidura's urban cycling packs across Europe.
- 𖤐 We've got our weekly office ride, the Workspace 666 ride is back on track, and Paul from N+1 joined after riding from Amsterdam to Moscow & my 10yo step-son Errol joining on the tandem too!
- 🗞️ Our pr dot co newsroom has a new press access feature to ensure editors only get pitches they're into! Check it out!
That's it for this week! Please do keep the replies coming! I love the feedback! :D
as always, thank you for reading & sharing this newsletter,
🤝 Pass this issue on via a tweet, LinkedIn post, or a share on FB.
✨ Enjoy this newsletter? A discounted offer to support it is here.
☕ Or simply say thanks for this issue by buying me a coffee.
🙏 Thank you all for the replies & good vibes each week!
📷 #carryshitolympics banner image by my step-son Rowan from yesterday's moving him into his first apartment ever mission!
Rideout with Ampler Ep.2 | How to Curb Traffic for a More Accessible City for Everyone
In the 2nd episode, Tuuli from Ampler speaks with:
Melissa & Chris Bruntlett about their latest book: “Curbing traffic. The human case for fewer cars in our lives."
They discuss why cities and towns designed for people are so important for our individual and societal health and well-being and how the Netherlands became the prime example of a cycling-friendly country.
Tõnis Savi, Kristjan Lepik, and Madle Lippus from Estonian NGO Elav Tänav discuss how and why this NGO was formed and what has been and will be achieved when people decide they want a change in their city.
Spotlight: Albion's tradition-killing Burner packable wind blocker
Some well-deserved insight into a banner piece of kit from Albion!
MatthewNorway reviews the FARA F/AR
Very cool to see the F/AR getting a thorough review based on mega mixed-terrain miles!
- 00:00 - Intro
- 02:19 - Frame
- 04:35 - Groupsets
- 05:19 - Wheelsets
- 06:10 - Frame Colours
- 06:37 - Price
- 06:58 - What I like about this bike
- 09:12 - What I don't like about this bike
- 10:11 - Who is it for/not for?
- 11:51 - Bottom Line
Harvard Just Discovered That PowerPoint Is Worse Than Useless
"Intuitively, anecdotally, and scientifically, PowerPoint may be the worst business tool ever created." haha, oof!
How to have a difficult conversation
PRO TIP: "Aim for a shared understanding with these techniques from an expert mediator"
(shout out to Peter for another good one!)
After Automats Died in New York, They Flourished in the Netherlands
"Waiterless" restaurants were once iconic symbols of the Big Apple but went from revolution to museum relic but managed to thrive in the Netherlands. Cool read about what feels like a cultural institution here in Holland but roots in the USA yet invented in Germany.
Do other examples of a similar trend come to mind?
Detour Cloud Cap – Ass Savers x Gramm Tourpacking
The Detour Cloud Cap - When you are desperate for shade. A hot weather collaboration between Ass Savers and Gramm Tourpacking featuring my friend Ondrej of Chimp Bars and the Bohemian Border Bash in their promo video!
DOT WATCHING: FURTHER TRUTH
Resplendent in Albion apparel, my friend Sjors is currently in the Ariege battling his way through Further 2021's pummelling parcours in the Pyrenees. Go, go, go!
Robert Heim's work, workspace & bike brand based in Hamburg
My colleague Kike & I had a call with Robert Heim last week of Buero 136 & robertone.cc about brand strategy, consulting, and conception work.
We haven't teamed up yet but I thought to share more about his work, workspace & bike brand here!
All Terrain Bicycle Challenge – Is the spirit of ATB inside you?
This is an open casting call.
ENVE and the ATB Challenge are looking for five challengers to participate in an ATB-themed reality TV Gameshow. Those selected will receive a bike—based on their build specs such as 650b vs 700c, drop bar vs flat bar, in addition to other critical options.
Only five challengers will be selected!
I'm thinking about applying ; )